the answer is Gardz, but....

Old 06-03-06, 02:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the answer is Gardz, but....

but I can't find it. nowhere.

to prep for repainting (interior) I peeled off the old paint and took a screen to the texture residue left behind. While I was at it, I did some things that had me opening walls and patching with new. So I have a mix of old and new drywall. The old stuff has some nicks and scrapes where the paint didn't cooperate, and the exposed paper has a "peach fuzz" over most of it from the screen.

Since I can't find Gardz, I'm looking for alternatives and ran across a couple of references to S-W PrepRite and looked them up. Yikes! there must be a dozen varieties. Is there a good alternative to Gardz in there? I was particularly intrigued by their "Classic" for prepping the ceilings (which won't be textured).

thoughts? other suggestions?

-art-

Old 06-03-06, 05:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
A latex drywall primer should be sufficent. What type of finish paint do you intend to use? The fuzz on the drywall paper will likely need resanding once primed.

Old 06-03-06, 07:29 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Sherwin carries a DryWall Conditioner. Its their version of Gardz, but a fairly cheap knock-off. When I have to use it, I apply 2 coats, and it will suffice to replace the Gardz.

Old 06-04-06, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the walls will get a light knockdown texture over the primer/sealer/conditioner, primed again and topcoated (flat). Probably two finish coats since I find my technique isn't quite good enough to single coat texture (close, but I always seem to miss a couple of spots).

Ceilings will not be textured. I've been using Kilz Premium to prime (blocks any residue left from popcorn removal) after I skim coat, then an eggshell "white" topcoat (2). yes, I know how difficult this type of ceiling is - I've already done 2. But if I take my time the end result has been very nice (ie, the boss loves it).

Last edited by sandbagger; 06-05-06 at 10:32 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: