Hvlp?

Old 06-04-06, 07:55 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hvlp?

Hi i am new to this site and was wondering if someone might be able to provide some helpful insight. I am contemplating getting either an HVLP system or purchasing an air compressor to do some residential painting.(Backyard fence, front railing etc.) I'm torn between the two and wonder if anyone can procide some insight into ideas. The air compressor is attractive bc i can use it for other things besides paint, but i hear there is a lot of paint loss from overspray etc. Can anyone help with some ideas?

Thanks a million,
Steelie

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-06, 04:23 AM
S
Welcome to the forums

A paint gun (Cup Sprayer) or HVLP gun/system is probably not what you are looking for to paint a fence and railing

I suppose they could be depending on what type of fence/rail they are, what they are made of and what type of paint you are using

Regardless, it's rarely worth it to purchase such equipment for one project
I'd recommend renting the correct application device for the material being sprayed (which, of course would depend on that info)

Old 06-05-06, 04:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
While both conventional and HVLPs are good for spraying fine materials neither are very suitable for spraying heavy material or large amounts of paint. An airless is the sprayer of choice for sparying latex and most house paints. While a true HVLP is powered by a turbine you can purchace HVLP guns that run off a conventional air compressor - this is the type I have.

Old 06-05-06, 09:00 AM
S
Thanks

Thanks for the insight. I think i'm leaning toward an air compressor system since i will be able ot use it for much more around the house. I didn't realize you could use an HVLP off an air compressor. How do you like your results marksr? I guess CFM's come into play on the size of tank etc. you buy. I do know that i won't be buying an oilless compressor. Thanks for the feedback and GREAT site!

Steelie

Old 06-05-06, 12:01 PM
Oiless compressors arent' much more money. I just had my cheap "oil lubricated" compressor spring a leak while putting in Baseboards. Went all over the carpet.

PS: I used WD40 and got the carpets looking perfect. Amazing how that worked so well.

Old 06-06-06, 04:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Originally Posted by Steelie
I didn't realize you could use an HVLP off an air compressor. How do you like your results marksr? I guess CFM's come into play on the size of tank etc. you buy.

I like mine fine, they still have some overspray but not near as much as a conventional gun. All air powered paint guns require a lot of CFM. I have a 20+yr old 1hp 11 gal comp that does ok for painting small items : 1 steel door, etc but for any large amount of spraying [including cars] I use a 6.5hp 60 gal

Different makes of guns will have different cfm requirements.
I only use my cup guns for spraying solvent based materials.