painting walls

Old 06-11-06, 02:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
painting walls

Ok my house needs to be painted. BADLY!!! If you remove a picture from off the wall you can see how clean the wall is under that but around that you got this black ring (from the furnace). Do I need to clean the wall first or can I just paint it.How do I clean it I've tried everything. It won't come off.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-06, 04:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
It is always best to have clean walls to paint but it isn't always practical to do. If your regular household cleaners [be sure to rinse] don't cut it I would be inclined to just paint.

My biggest concern would be if the oil/smoke stains might bleed through the paint. If so a stain hiding primer would be in order.

Old 06-11-06, 04:56 AM
OK thanks.

Old 06-11-06, 06:25 AM
W
After you paint, you might want to think about getting your furnace serviced.

Old 06-11-06, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell
After you paint, you might want to think about getting your furnace serviced.
The walls are dirty because the filter has not been changed every month (it gets changed when I remember to)also the walls have not been washed in a LONG time so now the dirt and dust from the furnace won't come off.

Old 06-11-06, 09:33 AM
B
Sorry, but the dirt isn't from a dirty filter unless you use a coal-fired furnace or the filter is sooooo dirty, the furnace can't get enough air. The grime comes from incomplete combustion.

When was the last time it was cleaned (serviced)?

Do you burn a lot of candles? That also causes the build-up of grime.

A cleaner that should work is TSP, available at you local hardware store. Be sure to rinse well.

Old 06-11-06, 09:48 AM
I think I still have some TSP I will have to look But its old.I can't tell when the furnace was last looked at the label fell off and was tossed. All I know is when they came to relight the Pilot The blew into some kind of senser thats about it and it was Father and sons heating and cooling.But I will Have it looked at when winter comes around since thats the only time its used. But I will Try TSP and see if that helps It won't ruin what paint is on the walls will it. The wall is just dirty enough the you can faintly see the difference when the picture is removed its darker where the vent is.Anyway I will Try TSP and see if that helps.

Update I was told we tried that but the walls were so smokey that the walls would not come clean. Of course the walls have not been painted or cleaned in 15 YEARS talk about lazy. So I got to paint as soon as I get a chance any type of paint that I should use I am going with a cream color as thats what is on the walls now. I want the type that does not have a odor and is fast drying.

Last edited by lexmarks567; 06-11-06 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Update
Old 06-11-06, 06:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
TSP won't hurt the walls although excessive water has the potential to do damage.

Latex paints dry fairly fast. Quality paints always cover better/quicker than their cheap counterparts. There are low odor latex paints available - just ask at your local paint store [not dept]