spraying interior doors

Old 06-13-06, 06:45 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
spraying interior doors

Ive got 6 six panel wood doors that I am thinking about spraying. I've got the compressor and everything to do the job except the gun. I was thinking about buying one of those Graco or similar spray guns you see at HD or Lowes. Are these any good? There are usually three levels of guns at those displays in the store. Is the most expensive one worth the extra money? What size tip should I be using for this job? I would need to prime and paint the doors. Can you use any type of quality interior wall primer and paint in a sprayer or do you need something special. If not, do you need to thin the paint? Should I use Oil or Latex? Thanks in advance for any help.

Oh, how will the finish look?

josh

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-06, 04:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
Latex doesn't spray well with air powered guns. It is too coarse [needs too much thinning] and dries to fast [the compressed air flow often dries the paint at the tip]

It is not a good idea to use wall paint/primer for a base coat on wood. The preferred product would enamel under coater. It comes in both latex and oil but if you are going to spray with a cup gun - use oil base. Same thing for the enamel top coat.

I am not aware of graco having any conventional cup guns. As far as I know all they make are airless pumps and guns/tips. When buying a cup gun be sure to look at the cfm requirements so You'll have one your compressor can handle.

Old 06-14-06, 05:30 AM
J
can you recommend a decent cup gun? I have a huge 60 gal. compressor, so that is not a worry.

Old 06-14-06, 06:04 AM
J
change of plans

Ok, so after reading some past posts, it seems the general consensus is to do the doors by hand. I'm fine with that, but have a couple questions.

I couldn't really find what type of brush to use. I did learn to use a mohair nap, but what size nap?

Are Sherwin William's Proclassic Waterborne Satin, or Benjamin Moore's Waterborne Satin Impervo the best options for paint?

Last question. I'm painting bare wood doors. What would be a good BM primer?

Old 06-14-06, 08:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by jlaird
can you recommend a decent cup gun?.
Binks and DeVibliss both make good guns. I'm sure there are other good brand also.

SWP and BM waterborne enamels are excellant. Mohair rollers are great for oil base but I have never used one for latex or waterborne [infact I have only sprayed or brushed waterborne] I've only used them in 1/4" nap and don't even know if they come in other sizes Personally I wouldn't use a roller on a panel door but it may be benificial for you.

A nylon polyester blend brush will work well. Purdy is the preffered brand.

I'm not real familiar with BM paint line up, slickshift is and should be by later. You want an enamel undercoater, either latex or oil should be fine.

Old 06-14-06, 11:33 AM
J
Oh, I thought the best method to paint a panel door from reading on this board was to roll the paint, then go over it with a brush to get rid of the stipples??

Old 06-14-06, 05:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I guess it all depends how good you are with a brush. I have worked for companies that had unskilled painters and they used a roller alot on woodwork. For me personally it is easier and just as quick to brush the door. If you need to roll to speed things up you don't need a mohair roller if you intend to tip it off [brush over the roller stipple] Most any roller will do as you are only using the roller to apply the paint and using a brush to lay it out.

A 1/4" mohair roller cover is good for rolling enamel on flat areas that you aren't laying off with a brush. A heavier nap roller will get in the panel edges better but must be brushed out to look good.

Sorry for the confusion - sometimes I forget not everyone has been painting for too long