Shellac based primer

Old 06-13-06, 11:54 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shellac based primer

I have a sprain can os Zissner Shellac based primer, what is the difference between this and other water based primers. Where and when is it best to use this. Also, what is the major difference between water based indoor and water based outdoor Behr primers?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-06, 04:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
Shellac based primers seal better and dry faster than a latex primer. You want to use shellac primer when you have stubborn stains [water,ink,etc] or when you have a a surface that might have bonding issues - when you want to apply latex over oil base.

I have never used behr primers. Generally an exterior primer can be used inside but an interior primer should never ever be used on the exterior. While both are formulated to penetrate,seal and bond, interior primers and paints are not formulated for weather or temp extremes.

Old 06-14-06, 06:39 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lbphathead19
Also, what is the major difference between water based indoor and water based outdoor Behr primers?

I will add that Behr products are "adequate" from a quality standpoint but there are other far superior brands and products on the market.When Home Depot gained control of Behr there was a marked evolving change in quality.Do not be swayed by a lower price at a big box store when making purchases of materials such as paint because the old saying "you get what you pay for" definately applies.Paint price is directly influenced by it's ingredients and they're quality.

Old 06-14-06, 08:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by spdavid
I.Do not be swayed by a lower price at a big box store when making purchases of materials such as paint because the old saying "you get what you pay for" definately applies.Paint price is directly influenced by it's ingredients and they're quality.
VERY TRUE!!!!
If it takes an extra coat to cover - it ain't cheaper! Higher quality paints also tend to be easier to apply.