faux finishing iron patio set

Old 06-17-06, 09:36 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
faux finishing iron patio set

I really don't have much painting experience. I have a metal (I think it is wrought iron) patio set that I want to put some kind of antique, crackle paint, or porcelain crackle paint on. THe guy at Lowe's told me to prime it with rustoleum and then use two shades of acrylic or alkyd paint with crackle medium in between. However, I have read that you have to use enamel or oil-based paint. Which is it or are these all the same?
Also, the top of the table is some kind of plastic-ish faux stone with grapevines and leaves etched into it. I don;t know if I want to paint it too or leave it as is. ANy ideas would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-06, 10:18 AM
S
The "rustoleum" that was recommended would be metal primer NOT their finish coat.Rusty Metal Primer if it has rust otherwise use one of the other metal primers.I hope the guy at Lowe's said this but you do not find qualified help at big box stores so I wouldn't be surprised if he just said "rustoleum".

Alkyd is another term for oil based.Terms such as acrylic and enamel can refer to either oil or latex products.

I don't have experience with crackle finishes etc so someone else will have to advise you on that.As for the plastic top.....painting plastics and other synthetic materials can be difficult or impossible and would at least require special procedures and products.

I suggest you patronize a real hardware or paint store and seek out qualified help and advice.You have a unique situation that big box stores won't be able to address properly.

Old 06-18-06, 10:51 AM
J
Smile

THanks so much for the advice! I'll ask at the Benjamin Moore store.

Old 06-18-06, 10:56 AM
J
For future reference:
Are the rustoleum paints (other than the rusty metal primer) not very good?

Old 06-18-06, 11:30 AM
S
Rustoleum is a good product.The finish coats do not have the rust stopping and surface bonding properties that the primers have which is typical of all paint lines.Rustoleum is comparable to most lines of similar paints both spray and brush on.

Old 06-22-06, 08:47 PM
C
What could one expect, as far as future rust protection on rusty wrought iron fencing, if priming with Rust Reformer and finishing with their Satin spray?

And is there a cheap sprayer for that type of job (220'+)?