Airless Paint Sprayer (Magnum/Graco)

Old 06-19-06, 10:44 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Airless Paint Sprayer (Magnum/Graco)

I am installing new maple cabinets, uppers, that willl have two halogen ceiling lights washing the doors. I would like to spray these as to eliminate any imperfections in the finish. I am going to use Minwax Water-Based Polycrylic Clear Gloss finish.

The Magnum dx airless sprayer offers spray tips of .011, .013, and .015 and come with the .015.

The only other application for this sprayer will be to paint crown molding and baseboards.

Am I on the right track here or should I come up with another idea?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-06, 01:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 295 Votes on 261 Posts
I have never sprayed any water based poly. An 11 or 12 tip would be in the right range. An airless puts out considerable more material than a conventional spray gun so hopefully you have a bit of spray experience.

Old 06-19-06, 10:42 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A 211 tip will work but a 210 or 211 Fine Finish tip will work better. Call your local paint stores to see who stocks FF tips. My local paint stores don't carry them but the local airless maintainance shop does. Or else you can order them from Gleempaint.com. You should also use the extra fine gun filter and strain anything you shoot.

I don't care for the Minwax product as it leaves a slightly blue tint when it dries. Benjamin Moore Stays Clear gives a better finish.

If you haven't finished with an airless before remember to bring up the pressure slowly until the tails just disappear and then just a tad more pressure. You can run more pressure but you'll just create overspray. Also waterbase finishes tend to have a little orange peal when they go on. A little orange peal is alright because they flatten out when they dry. Practicing beforehand is a good idea because even with reduced pressure and an FF tip an airless puts out a lot of finish. You need to move smartly with an airless or you'll have your finish dripping on the floor.

Jan

Old 06-20-06, 04:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 295 Votes on 261 Posts
Not all spray tips are interchangeable between makes. Make sure you buy one that will fit your gun.