Eaves are killing me

Old 06-21-06, 09:53 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Eaves are killing me

I started painting my house a few weeks ago. After replacing a wall of siding, some scraping, some hosing, some priming, I finally started painting with a brush yesterday afternoon and night.

My hands still hurt.

Ok, stop laughing. I am painting the eaves of my single story SoCal house with a 3" Purdy brush and it's killing this DIYer. So, I did some searching about a sprayer and checked here. The last couple of houses I painted was about 20 years ago.

Considering that I am using exterior Behr latex paint, most of the house is stucco that doesn't seem to need paint, and that I sit on my butt most of the day at work, does it make sense to use an airless sprayer for the eaves and the rest of the siding?

Old 06-21-06, 10:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 895 Votes on 821 Posts
If I was doing it, I'd have a 5 gallon bucket of paint, a roller screen in the bucket, and I'd paint the majority of the soffits with a roller and a long extension handle. It would leave much less to brush. You can do all the rolling from the ground with the paint pole, and you would only need to be on the ladder to get what the roller can't get- edges.

Old 06-21-06, 10:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Unless you have spraying experience it isn't a real good idea to buy an airless just for one job - they can also be rented.

If brushing I would probably use a 4" brush. As XSleeper posted using a roller will speed things up quite a bit. Brushing or rolling will also work the paint onto the surface better than spray possibly making for a longer lasting paint job.

Old 06-21-06, 02:21 PM
T
Roller on soffits?

Thanks for tips. I am unclear on using a roller on the soffits. The eaves are about 16 inches apart and made with 2 x 6 beams with tongue in groove "ceilings". Would you use a small, say 4" roller on one eave then go up the ladder and get the corners with a brush? Then move to the next eave?

Old 06-21-06, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 895 Votes on 821 Posts
I was picturing a flat soffit as you usually see on 1 story ranch style homes. In your case, you might be able to do some of it from the ground, but then yes, getting on a ladder with a 4" roller might do the rest and be faster than a brush. Then have the brush handy to brush the corners. At least your wrist might last longer that way.

Old 06-21-06, 06:21 PM
S
Originally Posted by Tyger52
Thanks for tips. I am unclear on using a roller on the soffits. The eaves are about 16 inches apart and made with 2 x 6 beams with tongue in groove "ceilings". Would you use a small, say 4" roller on one eave then go up the ladder and get the corners with a brush? Then move to the next eave?
I like to use mini-rollers on a pole for those
Sometimes called Hot Dog rollers
The covers with the nap though, not the foam ones
The minis have nap on the ends, and get into the corners well
If I can't get into the corners with it for some reason, I'll stick a brush in a holder on the pole, and get them that way
No ladder, just a good extension pole

Old 06-22-06, 07:21 AM
T
Thanks!

Great ideas, thank you all!

Old 07-05-06, 04:39 PM
T
SO much better

Thank you for the mini roller suggestion! That has saved me hours and much back, neck, wrist, arm and hand pain. Finished the largest stretch of the eaves much faster that way. I sure am glad for the kind people of this forum. Thanks again!

Old 07-05-06, 05:57 PM
S
Great
Thanks for the update

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: