Outside Caulk

Old 06-22-06, 04:57 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outside Caulk

I am getting ready to pint my exterior. I need to cauld several places and the most obvous is around my garage door trim. My parents just had their house professionally painted. I noticed their caulking job around their garage and other places that were wide gaps (wood to brick corners). The caulking job was very professional and it was a very alrge wide bead which has elasticity. My question is what kind of caulking do professional painter use and where can I get it? I am assuming it is one of the larger caulking tubs (whick I have a large caulking gun). I don't think it's the basic latex caulk you find at the home stores, and they don't sell the large tubes anyway.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-06, 05:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Usually you find adhesives in the large tubes. I always use the standard size tubes for caulking prior to painting.

You want a siliconized acrylic latex caulk. I prerfer the white lightning brand but there are other brands available also. Caulking takes some expereince to get really good at. As long as you are just cauling painted surfaces you don't have to be that proficent at ait. using a damp rag or sponge you can gently smooth out the caulk and remove any excess.

Old 06-22-06, 06:56 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am worried about shrinkage. I don't what to spend a lot of time placing a large bead of caulk only to find out it shrank in a week or so. So a good product is needed.

Old 06-22-06, 04:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
The good latex caulks will say siliconized acrylic latex. The cheaper caulks will just say acrylic or maybe only latex. Expect to pay $2+ per tube. If it is a large gap, say 3/8" or larger use a backer rod to support the caulk. Be sure to use enough caulk. Caulking the outside edges of the gap won't hould up near as well as forcing caulk into the crack which gives a larger bond area. For extra caulk strenth you can use a polyurathane caulk but they are often hard to find and ofcourse you have doubled the price per tube.