Whitest Ceiling paint?

Old 06-22-06, 07:50 AM
phatmax
Visiting Guest
Whitest Ceiling paint?

Which company makes the whitest ceiling paint? I have access to Home depot/Benjamin moore and Lowes.

Old 06-22-06, 12:10 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's funny, the "whitest" ceiling paints actually have a little blue in them
Of the Behr, AmTrad, and BM, I cam tell you regardless of the actual whiteness, it'll be much better looking with much less work to go with the BM

Old 06-22-06, 04:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I agree, a few drops of blue make most white paints whiter.
Since most ceiling whites are fairly white I would also recomend that you use BM for better coverage.

Old 06-23-06, 06:37 AM
phatmax
Visiting Guest
I have heard negative things about benjamin moore ceiling paints, is it true? What is BM color called?

Old 06-23-06, 06:49 AM
S
Originally Posted by phatmax
I have heard negative things about benjamin moore ceiling paints, is it true? What is BM color called?
Compared to Behr and AmTrad?
I find that difficult to believe
I've never heard a bad thing about them, from pros or DIYers
(maybe some pros have a preference of another brand, but that's common...but none I know will touch Behr or AmTrad)
I suppose anyone could have a bad experience with a project
I'd consider the source
Also BM, like the other national brands, has Mid-Line and Lower-Line products, so a person could use a low-end BM, and think it is not that good (which it isn't bad, but it's no premium product)

Ceiling White is the color/paint you are looking for

I'd recommend ceiling paint, but if you wanted to go with any of the other whites in flat wall paint you could
It won't have quite the adherence and dripless factors a true ceiling paint would, but it's more than do-able no problem

If you wanted to avoid the BM ceiling, I have used the Sherwin Williams ceiling paint and it works great also
Maybe a little more splatter than the BM, but then I'm going faster then most DIYers so maybe you might not notice it

Old 06-23-06, 08:25 AM
one neighbors praise

she loves BM 'Designer white' and will be using that to do her kitchen and bath ceilngs. She also wants DW for her trim

Old 06-26-06, 10:08 AM
phatmax
Visiting Guest
How's Paint from Ralph Lauren? does anyone here have any experience with it? Thanks for all the replies.

Old 06-26-06, 10:36 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Not a fan of Ralph Lauren paint at all. Ranks up there with Behr and the other over-promoted under-performing products.
For the whitest ceiling paint, use a high-quality flat paint, in a bright white, or super white. Beware of Sherwin's luminescent line, its very hard to make cover, even white over white.
I use 2 coats of Ben Moore Regal Wall Satin in Brillian White for bright white on ceilings.
Also know that most true ceiling whites have a shot of blue or gray in them to help hide defects and whatnot. If your ceiling has any imperfections at all, bed tape seams, dings, patches, etc., they will show up more with a bright white.

Old 06-26-06, 03:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Originally Posted by prowallguy
Beware of Sherwin's luminescent line, its very hard to make cover, even white over white.
I had forgotten about that line of SWP paint but whole heartily agree - it doesn't cover well!!

I've not been impressed with ralph lauren paint either although what little I have applied has been with troublesome colors.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: