I am so ticked off right now! Paint issue, please read on:

Old 06-30-06, 04:42 AM
melismak
Visiting Guest
I am so ticked off right now! Paint issue, please read on:

resolved now.

Last edited by melismak; 09-09-06 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-30-06, 05:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
Anytime you have custom tints there is a chance that multiple gallons won't be mixed the same. It only takes a drop less or more of colorant to change the paint. This is why it is always recomended that you inter mix all gallons prior to starting.

IMO you have a better chance of colors/gallons matching when they are purchased from a paint store. I believe their tint machines are better and more often calibrated.

There is a chance you didn't let the paint dry long enough and it may blend better later.

Old 06-30-06, 05:19 AM
melismak
Visiting Guest
thanks for your reply. I let it dry overnight and then some. I think I will first try going back and getting a small new can--there was only about an inch left in the old one and it had been sitting for 5 months since we painted the basement and I didn't mix it that well.

Old 06-30-06, 11:17 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you have any of the paint left over from the office gallon, take a dried sample in and have the store custom match that. Far more effective than hoping that the mix will be the same.

Old 06-30-06, 12:56 PM
melismak
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by kimeyers
If you have any of the paint left over from the office gallon, take a dried sample in and have the store custom match that. Far more effective than hoping that the mix will be the same.
That's a good idea, but I am pretty sure we don't have any left. I pretty much used it all. I'll look, though--it would be GREAT if that worked.

Anyway, I already bought the small can and it looks like it doesn't work. I am trying to control my anger with their lack of quality/consistency.

Old 06-30-06, 01:36 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you are using a semi gloss paint that is simply the properties. Only a flat paint will blend in after it dries.

But, the previous posts are correct as well. If it is a mixed paint then it is possible that the mixes just were not the same.

Old 06-30-06, 06:49 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It's also not helping that that is a poor quality paint with (among other things) extremely bad touch-up characteristics
Even the flat is like that

Old 07-01-06, 02:19 AM
melismak
Visiting Guest
all's well that ends well

OK, I found the old can of paint and was surprised to see several inches of paint left in it. Luckily I sealed it well and it just took a little mixing and the color was perfect. From now on, though, I think I'll be buying paint from a specialty paint store. I do appreciate all the help, particularly the person who encouraged me to see whether Icould find the OLD can to have it color-matched.

I am so very unimpressed with Lowes, and I've learned my lesson. You wouldn't believe how completely different the two colors of almond oil were--original color was lovely sandy light brown, the newer color was like a tangerine-shaded orangey brown--v. ugly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: