Benjamin Moore paint issues. Need some help - streaks when wet & sticking

Old 06-30-06, 06:49 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Benjamin Moore paint issues. Need some help - streaks when wet & sticking

Painted my bathroom with Banjamin Moore Regal Aquavelvet (or whatever it is called) premium paint. Grecian green. The bathroom was de-wallpapered, cleaned, sanded, primed with Kilz latex, and then pained with 2 coats of paint.

The issue is the paint. This was applied a week ago, so it is well dry. But when i spash some water on it, or wipe a wet hand over it, very obvious evident, streaks of much lighter green show up. These go away once the water dries, but it still seems incredibly weird and inconvenient for a bathroom!

Additionally, just tonight my wife told me that a page of a magazine the was sitting in the bathroom, with an open page, leaning against the wall, STUCK to the wall! She pulled it off, but it left ink spots.

Any idea what is going on? The streaks are bad enough, but the sticking is terrible!!?

thanks
jason

Old 07-01-06, 04:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
The magazine sticking is probably a result of high humidity.

Old 07-01-06, 10:19 AM
J
Thanks for the reply regarding sticking. We have to install a better fan.
But any ideas on the odd odd streaking?
jason

Old 07-01-06, 10:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
The temporary streaking is probably due to the dark color.

Old 07-01-06, 10:44 AM
M
happened to me too

this same thing happened to me with the streaking...paint was from lowe's...i took the remaining and got a refund...i never noticed if it was sticky but the paint still streaks when you get it wet and it shows fingerprints & it has been over 9 months now!!

Old 07-01-06, 03:08 PM
S
I have had a problem with a job with the AquaVelvet eggshell

Granted, I've used it for years with no problems
But this one job was weird

It was pretty humid when applied, and still shows streaks
They seem to multiply when it's humid out, or during rainy days/weeks (we've had two months of floods out here)
Almost a sheen/color change

It's in a bedroom, not a bath, and it's only on one (outside) wall
The humidifier was definitely exacerbating the problem

I thought it was surfactant leaching, but was told (by my contemporaries) it was not

The recent rains have the problem at it's maximum since application, and I'm at the point where I may have to repaint it

I have not yet tried the "page sticking test"...maybe I should

For a quick solution, I'd re-paint with Moore's K&B
I've had success with that in high humidity areas

I may contact BM on this one
I'll let you know if they tell me anything interesting

Old 07-01-06, 07:20 PM
J
I'll definitely be contactin BM on this next week.
i'm wondering if there was something missing from the can i bought, somethign which sets the paint when dry? No idea. I'm going to be very ticked off if i have to repaint it to fix the problem.

jason

Old 07-01-06, 08:43 PM
M
I had a chalking problem with BM regal eggshell in navaho white but not sticking. I'm wondering if it was dust from my other projects. I mentioned my problem to BM and they said they hadn't heard of that in the regal paint. I started to bring a sponge I wiped the wall with to the store to show them. When I wipe the wall it looks streaky but drys fine. It's been pretty humid here and the walls don't show any kind of sheen or streaking. The finish looks flatter than I thought it would but maybe that's a good thing as my walls are not nice new sheetrock.

The walls really look great with it so I guess I will continue with BM regal. I used a differnt finish in the bathroom and didn't notice that problem. When I do my living room I am doing one wall in a darker blue so I'll see then if it's really chalking or not.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: