When to use primer?

Old 07-02-06, 04:42 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When to use primer?

I want to change the color of my aluminum siding house from light blue to an olive color. Should I prime first? Also what kind of results can I expect from the Sw a-100 paint?

Old 07-02-06, 06:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 721 Upvotes on 632 Posts
A-100 used to be SWP's top of the line exterior latex. They have since came out with super paint and then duration which are superior.

About 12 yrs ago I painted an aluminum sided rental house and the customer required it to be done as cheap as possible. After a good cleaning I sprayed 1 coat of A-100 satin [with emulsa bond added] I recently drove by the job and it still looks decent - atleast at 40 mph

Normally aluminum siding doesn't need priming. The biggest concern is dealing with any/all chaulk residue. Any chaulk that isn't feasable to wash off can be handled by adding the appropriate amount of emulsa bond to the paint. Emulsa bond should only be used with the first coat of paint [latex only]. Chaulk can also be remedied with an oil base primer.

That house I painted was with white paint which isn't subject to fading. The better the exterior paint the better colors will resist fading.

Last edited by marksr; 07-03-06 at 06:06 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: