latex not sticking to door?

Old 07-04-06, 01:34 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
latex not sticking to door?

My wife and I bought a new pre-hung metal door with glass and a sidelite unit. It was installed and came primed white. We chose to paint it cranberry red with Lowes American Tradition paint. We cleaned the door with warm water and let it dry and began to paint. Put the first coat on and let dry about 4 hours and put second coat on. After two days of drying it is still tacky and when we pulled the painters blue tape off it started peeling bad. I have used the Lowes paint before on metal garage doors and not had any problems. Is there something we done wrong or could it be bad paint? The paint was the thickest and lumpiest Latex I have ever seen even after stirring. So now I am trying to get all the old paint off by peeling and I really dont know where to go from there. Anyone have advice on something to get the old paint off and instructions on how to paint the door where it will stick?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-06, 02:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
IMO you are better off buying paint from a paint store - better quality and possibly better quality control during manufacture.

As for your door and paint - did you lightly sand and clean the door first?

Deep colors tend to take longer to dry. Cheaper enamels never dry as hard as their better quality counterpart.

Since the paint has been on there a realitivly short time and is peeling it shouldn't be too hard to scrape and peel. Stuborn spots may require sanding or a heat gun to remove.

Old 07-04-06, 03:59 PM
S
I'm also assuming the Am Trad was a latex paint and not an enamel?
That's a problem also

I agree with the trip to the paint store (not a paint dept.)
They will have much better quality products and give you the right advice on the products for your needs

Old 07-04-06, 06:06 PM
D
It says 100 percent acrylic Latex exterior paint on the can. Can you elaborate on what you meant by the enamel? We did not sand but we cleaned. What sandpaper do I need?

Old 07-04-06, 08:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
180-220 grit sandpaper would be fine.

Exterior latex comes in flat, satin and gloss. Some manufactures will have variations of these 3 sheens.