Bathroom paint problem

Old 07-04-06, 03:27 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bathroom paint problem

I've been struggling for years with peeling bathroom paint and a search of the forum has only created more questions.

At the insistence of my bathroom remodeler, we used an oilbase primer on the walls before he did the floor and detail work. When we went to the paint store asking for an oilbase paint for the finish coat, they said current latex paints are proper for bathrooms and sold us that.

Posts here say latex won't adhere over oil. Can that be my entire problem? If so, what do I do now. Must I sand off all of the latex or can I prime over it and use an oilbase?

I also had an oldtimer tell me the answer is to seal the paint. In his day they would use shellac, but there probably are various products today. Any truth to this or should just a top quality paint be enough.

Old 07-04-06, 03:56 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bbdiy
...we used an oilbase primer on the walls before he did the floor and detail work. When we went to the paint store asking for an oilbase paint for the finish coat, they said current latex paints are proper for bathrooms and sold us that.
Correct
Posts here say latex won't adhere over oil.
Eeeeeeeeyyyaaaeaahh well, kinda....
It's not exactly true
If you put a latex paint over oil w/o the proper prep, yeah, it would peel up

It's very common to use oil primer under latex paint

Can that be my entire problem?
What's your problem?
If so, what do I do now. Must I sand off all of the latex or can I prime over it and use an oilbase?
You should be good...your latex isn't sticking?
Exactly what primer and paint did you use, and exactly what steps did you take?
I also had an oldtimer tell me the answer is to seal the paint. In his day they would use shellac, but there probably are various products today. Any truth to this or should just a top quality paint be enough.
Shellac is still used as a problem solver
I use it often
Whether or not it's right for you depends on your problem

Old 07-04-06, 09:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
Either latex or oil base can be used over oil base primer. What you can't do [without problems] is apply latex over an oil base enamel.

With the exception of primer shellac finishes are almost non existant today. Shellac primers are mostly used to hide troublesome stains. It doesn't sound like you need to use a shellac based primer.

As long as you have a good quality latex enamel it shouldn't need any sealer over it. I assume you now have a good exhaust fan to vent out any hot steam from the shower.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: