Baseboard Moulding

Old 07-04-06, 11:13 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Baseboard Moulding

I want to repaint my baseboard moulding and crown too. Some of the crown has gaps which I intend to fill with painters caulk. My question on the baseboard is what is the most effective way to keep paint off the carpet? My room is 22X13 roughly with some wall paper the Mrs. loves. That would be a lot of moulding to remove and not damage so how can I get around this problem and still get some great results? Thanks in advance.

KB

Currently there is a semi-gloss oil base on the moulding. I am partial to the oil base for trim but have heard that the latex products have made great strides in that department. Any recommendations there are also appreciated as well as prep tips if I go with latex over the oil.

Old 07-05-06, 05:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 724 Upvotes on 634 Posts
Since your woodwork has oil base on it now I would continue with oil base. To change from oil to latex you would need to sand AND prime with a solvent based primer first.

There 2 basic ways to keep the paint off of the carpet. The 1 I use most often is taping the carpet off with 2" tape. I then cut in the base to the tape using the tape more as a tool to keep the carpet off the wet paint. You don't want to carelessly slop paint onto the tape as it might seep under the tape and get on the carpet

The other method is to use a shield. Using a long knife blade [or anything thin] You can slide it along between carpet and base while you paint. It must be wiped clean often to prevent transfer of paint to the carpet. It is also possible that the carpet might stick to the base once the shield is removed - mostly with high pile carpet.

Old 07-05-06, 07:00 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'd stick with oil
I use 20" shield if needed
(made by Hyde, also used for wall coverings)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: