How to reach the peak of my roof?

Old 07-07-06, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to reach the peak of my roof?

I'm painting my exterior and have a problem reaching the side of my home at the peak of the roof. It's a standard two story colonial and I've got a 24' ladder. I'm guessing the front roof line (where the gutter is) starts at about 20 feet. The peak then on the side is maybe 7 feet higher.

I'm thinking I'll have to rent scaffold or get a bigger ladder. With a bigger ladder I'll still have issues a few feet away from the peak when I can not rest the ladder on the roof because of the angle - my neighbor has a stabilizer he puts on his ladder that extends it at the top wider to brace it - maybe that would work but I think I will still not be able to reach the very top.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-06, 03:11 AM
I'm not sure I'm picturing it right, but I use a longer ladder and the stabilizer bars if needed
It's extremely rare to need the hassle and expense of scaffolding

Old 07-08-06, 05:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you have a lot of work to do, rent a man lift. There is no substitute for a safe landing.

Old 07-08-06, 05:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by slickshift
It's extremely rare to need the hassle and expense of scaffolding
I agree, scaffolding in most painting situations would take longer to set up/tear down than the time spent on it, painting.

Old 07-08-06, 08:44 AM
I used scaffolding to install siding. It took me about 3-4 hours to set it up by myself. If you have a level, solid base to support a ladder, I would go with renting a larger ladder and adding the stabilizers. Just be aware that some of the real long ladders can be tough for one person to erect.

Old 07-08-06, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell
I used scaffolding to install siding. It took me about 3-4 hours to set it up by myself. If you have a level, solid base to support a ladder, I would go with renting a larger ladder and adding the stabilizers. Just be aware that some of the real long ladders can be tough for one person to erect.
I may just rent a larger ladder or get a few estimates - i hate cleaning my gutters... just too high and the though of being another 6 or 7 feet higher scares me.. BUT i'm painting the home to save money and to do a great job... righ now i'm on a sanding break.... after i scrapre i sand all the edges w/ a power sander.... anal but she's going to look great!!