How long do i have to wait to put tape on the freshly painted ceiling?

Old 07-08-06, 12:55 PM
colleen25
Visiting Guest
How long do i have to wait to put tape on the freshly painted ceiling?

i just painted my ceiling a really light green. the first coat dried in like less than 3 hours, and just put on the second coat. HOw long do i have to wait to safely put blue tape on the ceiling so i can paint the four walls a darker green??? i dont want to take the "safe release" tape off and take some of the ceiling paint off. i know some professionals say, dont use tape its just for splatter, but i am a total new do it yourself kind of person and i need the tape even though i have the sash brush.

Someone help

if it matters, its American Tradition paint, the ceiling is flat finish, the darker green for the walls is american tradition with a satin finish.

thanks!

Old 07-08-06, 02:08 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If I had to use tape on AmTrad, I'd wait a week for it to cure

Old 07-08-06, 02:13 PM
S
Originally Posted by colleen25
...i know some professionals say, dont use tape its just for splatter, but i am a total new do it yourself kind of person and i need the tape even though i have the sash brush.
You are correct that I'd recommend not using tape
I don't recommend not using tape because I'm a pro and don't need it...I recommend not using tape to any and everyone regardless of experience or status

It has nothing to do with being a new painter, DIYer or other-wise

It has to do with getting the best paint job you can get, whether you are a n00bie or pro

Because of the popular home improvement and decorating TV shows many newbies think they can tape a line and basically wave a brush in the general direction and the line will come out straight
It's simply not true
Usually the tape makes it worse

Good luck however you choose to do your project

Old 07-08-06, 02:53 PM
colleen25
Visiting Guest
one more question...even if i use tape or do not

ok, so say if i dont use the tape, can you give me an idea, is it better to do the majority of the walls and then come back to the high areas around the ceiling, or would you paint the edges first very intricately, and then work on the bulk of it

thanks

appreciate your advice and suggestion

Old 07-08-06, 03:43 PM
H
My wife and I are weekend DIYers. We use blue tape all the time when we paint and I find it faster to paint once I tape all the edges.

Here's our experience: crease the edge that will be next to the paint so that paint does not creep under the tape. Soon after you finish painting one wall, carefully remove the blue tape adn not to get wet paint anywhere you don't want. Have both dry paper towels and clean wet rags for wiping up. Sometimes we remove the tape and there's paint creep. Just wipe it off and touch up. Sometimes we just couldn't remove the tape soon enough so the dried edge might pull off some paint; so we touch up.

I would use the 1.5 or 2 inches tape so that there's more room for your brush or rollers.

Have fun. The room will look really nice.

Old 07-08-06, 04:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
As a pro painter I don't like tape either - it gives you a false sense of confidence. I would recomend not using tape and carefully cut in to the ceiling first. You would be surprised at how soon you get used to cutting in and as previously stated errant paint can either be wiped off or touched up when dry.

Old 07-08-06, 04:22 PM
T
If nervous about cutting in next to ceiling, use a 2" slanted trim brush. It makes fast work around ceiling, doors, windows, and baseboards. This eliminates the fuss about tape and the time to apply and remove it.

Old 07-08-06, 04:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I believe colleen said she had a sash brush but another tip would be to use a wide drywall knife and hold it up to the ceiling as a shield - might help to perfect skills with a brush.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: