Bathroom Paint & Misc. Quest's Please

Old 07-09-06, 05:52 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Paint & Misc. Quest's Please

Hello:

Thank you very much for all the previous help.

A few questions, and clarifications, please:

a. Have some bathroom painting to do. Obviously, even with a fan it becomes at time a moisture laden atmosphere.
There is Latex paint on the wall now.

I previous post said that it is O.K. to use an Oil based paint right over the latex without a primer. I always thougfht that oil over latex is a no-no (but vice versa is O.K.).
Can someone please educate me a bit on whether oil over Latex w/o a primer is really O.K. and safe ?

b. Was in the Benjamin Moore store the other day, and they have a Latex "Bathroom Paint". Guess I'm showing my age again, but I was of the opinions that for a moist area like a bathroom with a shower stall in it, oil would be "much" better for the walls. Is this still true, or are the new Latex paints that much better now ?

Have any experience with the Benjamin Moore Bathroom Paint ?

c. Have read all the posts from you pros re that it's a bad idea to use 3M blue tape to paint a ceiling straight line, and not needed, necessary, etc.
But, i truly don't have a stable hand anymore (getting on in years) and the tape seemed like a real good idea.
Please tell me again why it's a bad idea ?

If I feel I do have to use it though, any hits on using it would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 07-09-06, 06:56 AM
S
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert111
a. Can someone please educate me a bit on whether oil over Latex w/o a primer is really O.K. and safe ?
Yes, it's OK
But I wouldn't recommend it (unless there was some pretty unusual circumstances)
See below
b. ...for a moist area like a bathroom with a shower stall in it, oil would be "much" better for the walls. Is this still true, or are the new Latex paints that much better now ?
The new bathroom paints by Zinsser and Ben Moore are excellent
I haven't tried the Sherwin Williams, I've heard from my contemporaries that it was also great
Have any experience with the Benjamin Moore Bathroom Paint ?
Yes
I can strongly recommend it
c. But, i truly don't have a stable hand anymore (getting on in years) and the tape seemed like a real good idea.
Please tell me again why it's a bad idea ?
The best article on tape is ProWallGuy's sticky at the top of the painting forum:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=204271

Basically, it can be used effectively as a tool
Usually it's used as a method
Using it as a method usually doesn't work out well for the project

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: