Help--suntan lotion leeching through

Old 07-10-06, 08:31 AM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help--suntan lotion leeching through

Long story short--my 3 year old monster sprayed suncreen on a friend's flat paint wall at their lakehouse. Before leaving, I scrubbed with the limited cleaning supplies, but the oil seeped up. I said I would fix it the next time I came.

Owner's wife is a neat freak, and thought she could paint over the fresh grease. I'd left a can of oil based primer, and she primed and painted, but w/in a week it leeched through.

I'm driving over this week to fix this, but am not sure how. Should I sand back to where the monster sprayed the sunscreen? Would Kilz be better than a standard oil primer? I was going to scrub with TSP and the red stuff (my brain isn't working, crud cutter?-or maybe I could use simple green?) I'm at a loss here, as I would have cleaned before painting. Please help, so I am not banned from the lakehouse!

TIA

Old 07-10-06, 08:52 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A couple coats of sealer/primer should seal in the oil to prevent it from bleeding through paint. Many use Kilz. I personally prefer Zinnser.

Old 07-10-06, 10:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
Since it has already bled thru an oil base primer I would use a shellac based primer - it shouldn't bleed thru shellac.

Old 07-10-06, 04:58 PM
S
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd go with shellac
I'd BIN it (Zinsser's BIN)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: