paint shelf life

Old 07-10-06, 11:53 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
paint shelf life

I not being cheap but if i can save a buck here and there i will. I have 3 gallons of Kilz oil based odorless stainblocker primer that have been stored for about 1 1/2 to 2 years. Two are opened and the other is still sealed. Is it worth it to even try and use them or just buy new primer to avoid possible headaches?? thanks

Old 07-10-06, 12:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Oil base paint will last indefinetly if sealed well. The 2 open cans will likely have a skin on top that will need to be cut out and removed. If the paint stirs up [mixes] well it is ok to use. It would be a good idea to strain the paint.

Old 07-10-06, 03:37 PM
S
On no, they're bad
I'll take them....

...just kidding
Like marksr says, they should be good for years and years

Old 07-12-06, 07:58 AM
H
To jump on board - what if laytex pain - how long will it last? I seal my gallons back up and keep them upsidedown to keep air out.

Old 07-12-06, 08:03 AM
S
Latex paint that has been stored in any area that has gone below freezing such as outdoor sheds etc is no good and should be disposed of.If it has age on it and the can is rusty etc it is at least suspect and probably not worth the risk.I personally would not use latex that was more than two or three years old because it's not worth the risk versus replacing it.As for touch up by two or three years the original finish will not match any paint you'd use for touch up....new or stored.

Old 07-12-06, 08:09 AM
H
Originally Posted by spdavid
Latex paint that has been stored in any area that has gone below freezing such as outdoor sheds etc is no good and should be disposed of.If it has age on it and the can is rusty etc it is at least suspect and probably not worth the risk.I personally would not use latex that was more than two or three years old because it's not worth the risk versus replacing it.As for touch up by two or three years the original finish will not match any paint you'd use for touch up....new or stored.
i agree - i keep it for small projects... anything that takes a gallon or more deserves to be newly purchased.

but i have used laytex thats like 5 years old and some is still good - but sometimes you open and shake and it just looks spoiled!!

Old 07-12-06, 10:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Latex can also be stored for long periods providing it is sealed well and kept from freezing. It is a little more susceptable from high heat temps than oil.

Again it should be stirred well and strained. If it mixes well it should be fine for use. Latex can devolop a strong odor when it gets old - this doesn't affect the usability of the paint - not pleasant to apply though.

Old 03-25-08, 09:56 AM
T
Unused Latex Paint

I have two one-gallon cans of latex paint (Behr from Home Depot) that have had color added been shaken and, long story short, I never got to using them. Do I need to have them reshaken? Should the be strained first? What's the best/easiest way to strain? Will they still be the color/shade/tone we wanted when we purchased?

They were stored primarily in the house or in a mudroom. Mostly they were stored rightside up but for the last few months (6?) they've been stored upside down.

Thanks!

Old 03-25-08, 12:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Tommy!

If they have never been opened or subjected to freezing temps - the paint should be ok.

The paint will definetely need mixing. A shaker would be easiest but it can also be mixed by either boxing it back and forth from 2 buckets or with a paint paddle or stir stick.

You can buy 1 gallon or 5 gal paint straining bags at the paint store [I don't know if a big box has them] You set the straining bag over an empty bucket and pour the paint thru it. Years ago we used to use panty hose, cut off however big a section you need, tie a knot on one end and pour the paint thru the other.

Old 03-25-08, 06:48 PM
I go to the basement in many jobs i have done in the last 20 years. The more filled up the container is, the longer the paint will last. If only a quart or less is in the container, the shelve life is shorter. I always strain the old gallons as at the very least the rust and/or debris just from opening the can gets in there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: