3M Blue Tape Usage ?

Old 07-10-06, 04:21 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3M Blue Tape Usage ?

Hi,

What a great Forum, and with great folks.
Thanks so much for all the help.

For the sake of this Post, let's say I definitely want to
use the Blue 3M tape for making a straight line, irrespective of how great an idea that is.

I've read the pros and cons, but for now, let's assume that I'm
going to use it.

Questions:

a. Is it best to start over the tape and surface together; in other words, straddle the junction with the moving brush ? Or,...?

b. Or, just start on the surface, and try to get as close to the tape as possible, without actually touching it ?

c. How long to wait, assuming the tape does get wet a bit, before pulling it off ? (Latex paint, interior)

Any and all hints on using this stuff would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 07-10-06, 08:37 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
Whenever you get a lot of paint on the edge of the tape you run the risk of the paint seaping under the tape. Cutting to the tape can help to improve your brushing skills. If you intend to paint over the tape it is best to brush [or roll] a light coat = less risk of paint seapage.

Usually the sooner you remove the tape the better. I have removed tape while the paint is still wet but you have to be real carefull. It is best not to let the tape set over night.

Old 07-11-06, 11:43 AM
W
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Robert - I like to pull the tape as soon as the paint is dry to the touch. That means it still isn't fully dried and you are more likely to get a good edge. Like Mark I try not to get a lot of paint on the tape. I also don't push the tape down too hard, except on the wet edge. I use the brush handle to push down the tape edge as I'm painting.

I also believe in practice. Pick some unobtrusive spots and perfect a technique.

Old 07-11-06, 12:47 PM
U
Another tip: When you remove the tape, pull it back close to the wall - as opposed to pulling it away from the wall. This will help to keep the paint from lifting off the wall along with the tape. As was said before, the sooner after you paint, the better.

Brushing along with the edge of the tape, or starting on the tape brushing to the area you want painted, will keep you from pushing paint under any loose edges on the tape.

If you notice the paint lifting with the tape, score the edge lightly with the point of a sharp razor knife, then pull the tape.

Old 07-11-06, 12:57 PM
Cool Blue tape hint

A neat trick I picked up on another board for getting a nice, straight line is this:

Let's assume you are painting your wall and want to mask off the ceiling. Put your blue tape along the edge of the ceiling, burnishing it down well at the edge that meets the wall. Then, before painting the wall, take a small brush and VERY LIGHTLY paint along the edge of the tape that meets the wall with the ceiling paint. If there is going to be any seepage, it will seep the color of the ceiling under the edge, thus sealing it against seepage of the wall color.

You only have to wait until the edge is dry to the touch before you can go in and cut in the wall color all around the room.

When you are done cutting in, paint the wall fields and then remove the blue tape from the ceiling.

I know the pro's tend to poo-poo the use of the tape, but let's face it, how often do we amateurs really paint a wall? You'd have to do it a lot to develop and retain cutting skills for freehanding a straight line and frankly, I'm not planning on repainting that often!

Another trick I picked up is to take a bit of spackle and run it with your finger in the juncture between the wall and the ceiling, kind of rounding out the corners just a little and smoothing out the texture of the wall and ceiling about 1/4 inch on either side. It gives me a smoother, more even surface to adhere the tape to and a MUCH straighter line. Be sure to prime the spackle before painting, especially if you use something other than flat paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: