Caulking Technique

Old 07-13-06, 05:01 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Caulking Technique

I realized on the first house I did that everything, all base and casing, needs to be caulked, even if there are no gaps. I noticed there is a better transition between the trim/casing and the wall once painted . When I caulk, I cut the tip around an 1/8" or so and caulk wall/trim intersection. I then take a putty knife and pull across to "flush" the caulk and make it smooth (this leaves a 90 degree angle between the caulk and the wall). Seems to work okay. I know some people just caulk and do not smooth with a putty knife and it looks good once painted (this method leaves a radius at the intersection). Which is the preferred method?
Also, there must be special caulking tips for this type of job out there somewhere? Seems like using a tip if they exist would increase consistency and productivity?

Thks,,,,,,,Larry

Old 07-13-06, 05:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
The more you caulk the better you will get at it. I don't use a putty knife to clean up the caulk but instead lightly run my finger over the bead which both smooths it out and presses it into the crack. Having a damp rag or sponge will both keep your finger semi clean and when used between your finger and the caulk can help protect your finger from abrasion.

The only caulking tips I'm aware of are the kind the come with the 'bulk caulk' guns - where the caulk comes out of a 1 or 5 gal bucket. Not something you would use [or want to] on a residential home.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: