Interior Vrs. Exterior Paint

Old 07-13-06, 05:07 PM
L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior Vrs. Exterior Paint

What are/is the main differences between interior and exterior paints. Can exterior also be used inside. What makes a paint alright for the elements?

Old 07-13-06, 06:19 PM
S
The ability to withstand UV light and temperature change/weather elements/moisture are the biggest differences.Exterior can have more fumes as it isn't formulated to be used in closed environments.I'm not a scientist so I can't be much more specific.

Old 07-13-06, 07:21 PM
S
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wall paint doesn't need to repel rain and dirt like exterior siding or trim paint
It's not recommended to use exterior paints indoors

....I personally have broken the rule and used exterior latex trim paint on the small window in my shower
Yes, it's in my shower, not just in the bathroom, it's a foot and a half away from the shower head
Needles to say, I thought the mold/mildew/water/dirt resistance of the exterior trim paint would help me in this situation
That's about the only time I can think that one might do that
Maybe in an atrium or aviary...something like that

Old 07-13-06, 07:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
I agree. Never use interior paint outside. While exterior paint can be used inside it really isn't a good idea [except in slicks place - btw he needs a curtain on that window ] Exterior paint has some chemicals that aren't allowed in interior paint [less ventilation] and they are formulated for a different type of wear - ext paint won't wash as well.

Old 07-13-06, 10:49 PM
L
thanks for the clarification guys.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: