Base 2 paint

Old 07-15-06, 08:31 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Base 2 paint

I recently painted some interior trim with what I thought was interior semi gloss white. However, when i went the the paint store to purchase another quart of it I found out that the 1st quart I used was semi gloss base 2. There was no color on it. The 1st quart was white, but did not cover as well as I thought it should have.

My questions are:

What is base 2 paint?
What is base 4 paint?
Should I repaint the areas I painted with the base 2 paint, with the new white paint?

Old 07-15-06, 10:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Different brands use different names for their different bases.

Basically you have a white base that can be used either as white or with small amounts of tint. The other bases require tint added to work and cover well. There is always a least 1 tint base for pastels and a different tint base for deep colors.

Any base that isn't a standard color [white, brown, etc] should have tint added prior to using.

Old 07-15-06, 11:38 AM
S
Originally Posted by lbphathead19
What is base 2 paint?
What is base 4 paint?
Should I repaint the areas I painted with the base 2 paint, with the new white paint?
There's no standard, but yes it's two different bases
And you'll have to make a judgment call on the color
It may be close enough you don't have repaint the (I assume incorrect base) already painted areas

Old 07-15-06, 12:15 PM
L
Yeh the color is a little lighter than what I wanted but its not a big area to repaint. As far as the base, will it affect the quality of the paint (pealing, chipping, etc....)?

Old 07-15-06, 12:33 PM
S
Nope

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: