painting or staining

Old 07-19-06, 04:10 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question painting or staining

Hey all
just got back from visiting the sistr/bro in law. While down there I saw the beautiful fence (6 foot high cedar)they had installed a few months ago. I was somewhat shocked to learn that he plans to paint it as he says putting a clearcoat on will just need to be applied every year. So, I gather that my bro in law wants something that needs less maintenance. I can't believe one would cover up the attractiveness of ceder, I was under the assumption that oil based stains were great for fences as they penetrate into the wood. I told him I would ask the pro's on this site for their input. It is possible he had a friend who has had a bad experience and maybe the guy used cheap stain. How often does one have to re-stain using high quality products in upper Illinois. Also, if he decides to paint instead of stain, should certain products be used such as primers. I've heard of ceder bleed.

Old 07-19-06, 09:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 721 Upvotes on 632 Posts
Whenever painting cedar with light colors a good oil base primer is recomended.

I don't think painting the fence will cut down on maintinence. While paint does last longer than stain it usually requires more prep to repaint - scraping, priming.

The more pigment a stain has, generally the longer it lasts. A clear [or almost] stain won't last as long as one with more pigment. There also is a big difference in quality between brands. You usually get what you pay for. A local paint store should be able to recomend the best coating for both the customer needs/wants and the job.

Old 07-19-06, 05:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ok thx marksr, I will pass on the info and also to tell him to listen to the advice of the paint store pro

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: