Stripping Bi-Fold (Louvered) Doors?

Old 07-20-06, 08:20 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stripping Bi-Fold (Louvered) Doors?

I was wondering if anyone had any fabulous tips for the fastest way to strip the old paint off of a set of bi-fold louvered (interior) closet doors..

Plus, the paint isn't already peeling or cracking on the doors...it seems to be baked on the wood somehow or the original coat(s) of paint were thinned so much so that even if I take my heat gun to it, then I can't get the paint to 'bubble' up.

My original strategy that I concocted for doing this job consisted of applying heat with the heat gun to soften/weaken the paint and then using a chemical stripper behind that. Even so though, (especially because of the louvres) this will apparently take a loooooonnnng time to complete.

Anyone out there have any great tips on how to make this go a lot faster??

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-06, 08:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Why are you wanting to strip the paint? If you are wanting to change the doors from paint to stain IMO you would be better off buying new doors.

If you use a chemical stripper you shouldn't need to use a heat gun.

Old 07-20-06, 08:52 AM
D
Thanks for the swift reply, marksr!

Unfortunately, the paint has gotten old & dingy looking and it seems as though an unusual amount of specks of dirt & grime have gotten stuck to the paint that won't wash off.

These are bi-fold doors for a rental condo and I would much prefer that they look really good..

I bought a replacement set of doors at Lowe's several years ago, but have discovered that this particular set of doors was cheap & flimsy and haven't endured the infrequent abuse very well over the years...I hung on to the original set because they were so sturdy intending to use them in some other setting, but it looks like I need to strip them, & repaint them with white paint again.

Any suggestions?..

Old 07-20-06, 11:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I would suggest sanding them with 80 grit sandpaper followed with 150- 220 grit. If they need 2 coats of paint save the fine sanding until after the first coat is applied.

Old 07-20-06, 12:08 PM
S
I agree with marksr

If you really do want to strip them, I would take them to a strip shop
That's not only not a good DIY project, I would do that in a professional capacity also
And trust me, I would rather do it myself and keep the money, but it's just not worth the hassle, I'd bring it to the stripper and pay them to do it

Old 07-24-06, 12:38 PM
F
I have a similar problem. I have 3 sets of bi-fold louvered closet doors that need to be repainted. They were originally painted with oil, then as best we can tell, repainted with latex without any prep or priming. Consequently, the latex is peeling. We've tried just peeling it up, but it sticks in spots, and sanding just makes a mess of it.

I priced out having it done professionally, but they want $400 per set. I also tried to buy new ones, but they are a custom size, so I am having a hard time finding new ones in a white finish. Any thoughts?

Old 07-24-06, 04:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums FLhomeowner

I would suggest agressively sanding them with 60-80 grit sandpaper to remove the bulk of the latex, then finish sanding them with 120 grit. They should be ok to paint after that.