How to paint underside of crown molding

Old 08-03-06, 06:01 AM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to paint underside of crown molding

Hi, we just put up crown molding and bead board wainscoting in my daughter's bedroom. We painted the ceiling in flat Benjamin Moore creme fraiche. The window trim, door, baseboard, wainscoting, and crown molding will be the same creme fraiche paint but in pearlized gloss. The wall will be flat lemon meringue. I don't know how to paint the underside (bottom) of the crown molding (I do not mean the lower part of the molding, but the flat bottom created by the cut of the molding.) Since it meets the wall, should it be the color of the wall or should it be the color of the crown molding? I know it is only 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick but am not sure if it matters. I started painting without thinking about it and stopped in the middle when the thought occured to me. Thanks.

Old 08-03-06, 06:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
The correct way is to paint the entire moulding with the trim paint. This is easiest to do if the crown is painted before the walls are. There are many who 'cheat' and don't paint the bottom edge with the trim color.

Old 08-03-06, 10:36 AM
N
Red face

Thank you very much. Should have posted the question before putting it up.

Old 08-04-06, 08:16 AM
W
I've always done this area with the trim color. While it is easier to paint before putting up, I inevitably have to run a brush along this edge afterwards. Tape the wall or use a wide putty knife.

Old 08-04-06, 08:51 AM
I am a professional painter and it would be no problem for me to just cut that in. For you, I would suggest to do the best you can and if you get a little paint on the wall try to clean it off or touch it up with the wall paint. If your using a flat paint for the walls then it should touch up nice. I love flat paint because it touches up so nice.,,,Also , You could use some painters tape and dry brush it{like you would if stenciling} and pull up the tape while still wet. Just make sure the brush has very little paint on it. If you have a a lot or even a normal amount of paint on your brush , it will get under the tape and make a mess. because you are using flat paint you can touch up any boo boo's pretty easy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: