EXTERIOR: preasure wash or sand? 2 coats primer?

Old 08-04-06, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
EXTERIOR: preasure wash or sand? 2 coats primer?

heyho,
i'll be painting my parents house for them in september. it was only last painted a couple years ago and the paints already pealing completely off, leaving bear wood!!! obviously the guy did a bad job.

first i'm going to scrape off the big chunks, and then i was thinking i'd sand the whole thing to rough up the surface BUT
i've heard that you can get preasure washer so strong that it roughs up the paint and rips off any loose stuff. and its faster.

do you think a strong preasure washer is going to be a good way of going about preping the surface?

and after its preped, will 2 coats of primer make it last longer? or is only one coat of primer neccessary?

thanks,
max

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-06, 08:02 PM
Power washing can get rid of a lot of loose stuff, and is a great help
But it will still need to be scraped and sanded

Only one coat of primer is needed

Old 08-05-06, 06:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I agree. While a pressure washer makes the job easier, care must be used to prevent damage. Over kill with the PW can damage the wood. Also too much pressure around windows, doors or any other opening can force water behind the siding When done be sure to allow the siding to dry before priming.

Choice of materials also plays a big part in how long the job will last. Using quality paints is almost alwys cheaper in the long run. While using an oil base primer is usually best in some situations [like poor insulation/no vapor barrier] a latex primer will give better results.

Old 08-05-06, 09:03 AM
thanks for the reply's you guys. -
in addition to the further rsearchs i've done, it seems like the preasure washer doesn't actually SCUFF-SAND the good paint surface to improve the bonding of the primer coat. - it seems to be more used for peeling off loose paint. is this right?

the house is 3/4 stucco and 1/4 wood sided. and its painted with a flat paint. is scuff sanding neccessary before the primer coat? i want to make the paint job last as long as possible.

m

Old 08-05-06, 11:07 AM
Correct

About the stucco, I don't see a lot of that around here
When I was in Fla. it was mostly textured stucco, and I did not (nor could I) sand

Old 08-05-06, 11:39 AM
yes, this is textured stucco, with the little dimples all over it. i was thinking of using a wire brush to scratch it up, but if its not neccesary i'd love to skip a step.

Old 08-05-06, 11:40 AM
oh, i was also curious about how using a preassure washer effects the lead paint clean up process. any experiences with that?

i know that if we were to scrape it we'd just lay down plastic and collect all the chips.

but, if your preasure washing it off, how do you collect it all?

thanks,
m

Old 08-05-06, 05:51 PM
You don't use a pressure washer to remove lead paint

You especially shouldn't scrape or sand it either

Technically it is really the dust that is toxic (unless it's wee ones eating the chips), and wet it is "safer", but powerwashing is not an accepted nor effective removal method, and lead paint removal is not a good (or safe) DIY project

Old 08-05-06, 07:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Stucco just needs to be clean prior to painting.