painting over stained cedar shingles

Old 08-07-06, 09:00 AM
painting over stained cedar shingles

I recently stained new cedar shingles on my front gable and porch, but the stain color is much darker than what we wanted. Now I'd like to paint over the stain, but I'm wondering what type of primer and paint to use. I'd guess the primer should be oil based, but is there a best choice for this application (over stain, on cedar shingles)? And what's the best paint to use? Would oil or latex be better? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-06, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
If the shingles receive any direct sunlight, the color will fade. Painting wood outside is something I don't like to do because it's so much work and has to b redone so often. Your house, your call. I'm not enough of a paint expert to exactly answer your question, but I'm sure slickshift or marksr will chime in shortly.

Old 08-07-06, 10:10 AM
The gable end recieves a lot of sunlight. It's south facing and we get almost 300 days of sun per year. If I do paint the shingles it will probably be a fairly light color, which I hear will last longer. I'm OK with a little extra maintenance, but my main concern is that the shingles won't take the paint, especially after being stained. I see a lot of other painted shingles on homes in town, and they seem to hold up pretty well. Aren't most shingles cedar, or could they be something else?

The stained shingles turned out to be almost black, so they just won't work with our planned color scheme. I considered restaining them, but I don't think a lighter stain would do anything over the dark stain.

Old 08-07-06, 10:18 AM
Group Moderator
I know that you cannot lighten the color of stain without stripping the old finish off first. As I said in my first post, there are others here much more qualified than I to give specific how-to painting advice and I expect one of them to answer shortly.

Old 08-07-06, 02:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What type of stain did ytou use?

Generally it isn't a big problem to paint over exterior stain. The biggest problem [depending on the type of stain used] is what makes the stain repell water may also make it harder for paint to stick Some stains require removal by weathering or stripping before they can be recoated.

If at all possible let it weather a little, use a good exterior oil primer and finish with latex paint.

Light colors don't neccesarily last longer but they will look good longer. Sun can really do a number on dark colors and oil base paints - atleast in the S.E.

Old 08-07-06, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the help.

I used an oil based stain, Sherwin Williams Woodscapes. It's only been on about a month so far, and it will probably be a couple more months before I do the painting.

Old 08-07-06, 03:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Should be ok to prime with A-100 oil primer, might ask your local SWP rep to be sure.

Old 08-07-06, 03:51 PM
Thanks again marksr! I'll be sure to check with SWP. They're always a big help and I love their products.

Old 08-07-06, 05:50 PM
Group Moderator
The fact that you're going to SW will greatly increase your chances of being happy in the end - a good paint shop is a huge help.