floetrol

Old 08-08-06, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up floetrol

This stuff seems to really work!!! I was painting my dining room wall using BM regal paint and quality brushes and rollers and I still had to do two coats because of the roller marks. It's like the paint was so thick the roller would pull it off or something. I tried different naps but still got the marks. I'm not a professional painter.

I saw some floetrol at HD while getting some roller covers and tray liners and decided to try it. I was on the textured ceiling at the time and put some in the paint. It really looks nice but ceilings are hard for me and I could not judge how the floetrol worked.

I just used it recoating the walls and what a differance! I didn't have any trouble with the oil based primer but the paint seemed difficult to work with. I didn't add the whole 8ozs to a gallon, prob more like 6ozs. It was easier for me to keep a wet edge and when I had to edge along ceiling and baseboards the paint just flowed!

I was doing a second coat so I can't judge how it affected the hiding ability. The paint is great and I would not have had to use a second coat if my technique was better.

When I do the rest of my rooms I will just resign myself to using two coats of paint and use the floetrol just because it makes it easier. It really looks good so far!! No brush or roller marks! When I used the paint without it I got some drips from the paint "stringing" if that makes any sense. I didn't have that problem at all with the second coat.

I'm sure there is some disadvantage to it but for me they are outweight by the advantages.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-06, 02:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Floetrol is for latex paint, penatrol is for oil base.

Basically it is a thick thinner that slows down the drying time, normally it won't hurt coverage, occasionally it can help coverage.