**plaster surface paint prep

Old 08-09-06, 08:16 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question **plaster surface paint prep

I own a home built in the 1930's, where all of the wall surfaces are plaster on wood lathe. In the kitchen, the previous owner had painted over the plaster walls w/ a semi-gloss acrylic latex paint. Now I want to repaint, but noticed some areas that peeled off easily, indicating poor adhesion. I peeled off whatever came easily, and could probably get all of it off, but it would be very time consuming and labor intensive. However, if I leave it as is, you will be able to see the difference where the paint was removed.

Does anyone know the best way to get a uniform surface, w/ out having to completely strip every wall??? I was thinking I might have to skim coat the entire room. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Shogun371

Old 08-09-06, 10:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Votes on 314 Posts
Any loose paint should be removed or you may run into peeling problems later. Beside bad prep it is also possible a cheap latex enamel was used - theya re bad to chip and then peel.

Without looking at it is hard to say whether the whole wall needs skim coating or maybe just feathering the peeled edges with j/c. Don't forget to prime any new j/c or unsealed plaster.

Old 08-09-06, 02:16 PM
S
Thanks. I wasn't sure if I needed to peel everything, or just skimcoat w/ j/c. I seem to have the peeling under control, so it sounds like maybe skimcoat is the way to go (or at very least feathering the edges)

Old 08-10-06, 06:44 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Prime the walls with a penetrating alkyd or DRC like Gardz or DrawTite. This will lock down the remaining areas of paint. Then skim.

Old 08-10-06, 11:25 PM
S
Thanks guys, that's the info. I was looking for!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: