paint quality

Old 07-25-06, 08:34 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
paint quality

Can u tell a quality paint by its contents? What if different brands have the same thing?

Old 07-26-06, 04:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I haven't read the label on paint cans in years but I doubt they tell the exact formula for the paint. I'm no chemist but I'm sure how much of whatever and how it is blended plays a big part in the quality of the paint. Quality control insures that each gal sold over the years is as close as possible to being the same.

There are paint manufactures that make paint for other labels but would think that their best effort goes into the coatings that carry their label.

While it is possible to get the same quality in an off brand, buying a known quality coating is a safer bet.

Old 07-26-06, 01:49 PM
S
The single best determining factor concerning paint quality is price.Most every manufacturer and label have multiple levels of quality often with the same or similar brand names.Price will help you to understand which of these choices is best....as will qualified help at a paint or hardware store and not a big box.Ingredient lists and such will not usually give you the info you need to make a good purchase decision for paint.

Old 08-12-06, 08:19 AM
one thing you can look for - and must be specified somewhere - is the % solids in the paint. high solids means more pigment. and it almost always means higher cost. it doesn't necessarily mean it's "better" than the one next to it for your application, but it's a place to start.

Old 08-12-06, 08:40 AM
Another point...

Paint ingrediants are not listed the same as food items. Food items are listed on the can from the highest quantity to least. This is not the same with paint.

Also, 100% acrylic paint is better than a paint that is not, but manufacturers are able to place this on their cans no matter how much is actually in there. So this is where you have to read the percentages.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: