primer over painted plywood?

Old 08-10-06, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
primer over painted plywood?

Here's what I did. Keep in mind, I've never painted anything before.
I have a bare piece of plywood.

I didn't think I needed primer so I sanded with 100 grit and just spray painted the whole thing black with 2 coats. I let each coat dry for 24 hours.

Now the paint rubs off on my hands whenever I touch the painted wood.

Someone told me I should spray some kind of sealer over it. (They suggested hairspray, or other). Someone from Home Depot said that I should've primed the wood and that's my problem. What do I do now?

1.) Do I sand off all the black paint, prime the bare wood, then spray paint it black again?

2.) Do I just spray primer over the black paint(already on the wood), then respray paint it black?
or
3.) Do I seal it with a sealer or sealant?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-06, 05:42 PM
Yes, you should've primed. My guess is to why it rubs off is it wasn't cleaned good enough after sanding. Dust and sanding residue will build up in the pores of the wood and severly impede adhesion.

I'd sand it off (if possible), and prime. Top coat would be determined by what the piece of wood is for. Exterior? Interior? What's the wood's function?

Old 08-10-06, 07:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
How big is the piece of plywood? Typically spray cans don't apply a lot of paint. I would think brushing or rolling atleast the primer would be better than using a spray can, or is it something small?

Old 08-10-06, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback.
It's a pedal board for my guitar effects pedals. So, it's pretty small, about 1 inch thick by 2.5 ft by 1.5 ft. It'll be used mostly indoors and used outdoors every once in a while. But, it'll be indoors like 24 hours a day for the most part.

So I should sand off the old paint with what grit paper?
How do I clean the wood after sanding to get rid of all loose particles?
and with which grit paper do I prep the wood with before priming?

Keep in mind I already have a spray can of white primer, flat black spray paint, 220 grit paper and 100 grit paper. Thanks.

Old 08-10-06, 08:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sand it with the 100 grit, that should remove any loose paint. It is best to sand with the direction of the grain [reduces scratches] Wiping the wood clean with a clean cloth should remove all the sanding dust. Then prime, sand with the 220 when dry, wipe off the dust and apply your black paint.

Old 08-11-06, 01:46 PM
When I sand it the first time with the 100 grit should I strip off all the original black paint down to just the bare wood or just enough to get rid of the top layer of loose black paint? Sorry about all the questions but I like to be sure and precise about everything.

Old 08-12-06, 04:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As long as you sand somewhat aggresively any paint that is loose should come off leaving any paint that is bonded to the wood which will be ok.

Old 08-12-06, 09:37 AM
Thanks. I'm gonna go finish that up