When to paint interior walls

Old 08-11-06, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When to paint interior walls

I am going to paint the walls in a newly purchased home but we are having the hardwood floors refinished. My question is whether I should paint the walls first or wait until after the floor is done to do the painting. Seems to be points for doing it either way. Would love to hear from anyone with some good advice about this. Need to make my mind up soon. Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-06, 07:28 PM
In a contractor situation, the painters go in last
The floor guys will say they want to go in last, but they always....always...mess up the paint and the paint has to be touched up

However, if I had my druthers, I'd prime and first coat before the floor goes in, then the last coat would be the touch-up also
It just rarely works out that way

It sounds like this is a repaint (not new construction)
Definitely floors first, paint last

Old 08-12-06, 04:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Scheduling often determines which gets done first. If painted first, you/painter would need to go back, dust the walls and touch up/paint where neccesary after the floors are done.

Old 08-12-06, 05:45 AM
My dad the professional

My father always said to do the floors first because it makes a terrible mess, and to use real canvas drop cloths to protect the floors during the painting.

Good canvas drop cloths are expensive, and I know from experience that the cheap ones and the rolls of plastic sold as dropcloth do not over enough protection.

However, it is easier to clean latex paint from a well-finished floor than from one who's finish has worn off, just do it as soon as possible.

Old 08-12-06, 08:24 AM
another vote for the floors in this case. then use the tarps, but cleaning a few drops of errant latex from a new urethane floor shouldn't be a big deal. Touching up new walls is a PITA.