Looking for baseboard paint type (flat,semi-gloss, etc.)

Old 08-11-06, 10:40 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Looking for baseboard paint type (flat,semi-gloss, etc.)

I've searched the posts and can't find the answer to my question. I have MDF baseboards already primed. I plan to use latex paint and am trying to determine type of paint to use (flat, semi-gloss, low-luster) on the baseboards. Any help is appreciated!

Mike

Old 08-11-06, 11:02 PM
J
Mike,

Usually base board is painted to match the other trim in the room. That said, I'd use semi gloss. Preprimed trim usually needs to be sanded first. Use a fine sanding sponge and go over the base lightly just to smooth it. You'll be able to feel the difference with your fingers. Then vacumn the pieces and wipe them clean with terry cloth. Use a good 2" sash brush and two coats of paint.

Jan

Old 08-12-06, 03:18 AM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You can use whatever you'd like, but semi-gloss or satin (different words for the same sheen) would be the most common

I'd also recommend a waterborne enamel (rather than plain latex wall paint) for trim
It's still water clean-up paint, but looks/lasts better for trim

Old 08-12-06, 04:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The main thing is to use enamel. The 3 basic sheens are satin/eggshell, semi-gloss and gloss. Flat paint would tend to get dirty every time you bumped it with a broom or vacumn cleaner.

Old 08-12-06, 08:42 PM
R
Thanks for the tips! We picked up some Behr semi-gloss latex enamel and put it on.

Old 08-13-06, 04:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I would suggest that next time you purchase your paint from a paint store instead of a paint dept. While the price may be higher you will find that quality paint both applies and wears better than the lower quality brands.

Old 08-15-06, 06:54 AM
P
Just finished reading the Sep 06 edition of Consumer Reports, and Behr is rated best for low-luster, flat, and semigloss paints. They were also "best buys". These are available at Home Depot and other do-it-yourself strores. Are these not good quality? Appreciate comments.

Old 08-15-06, 09:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The problem with consumer reports is they don't neccesarily use the "correct" criteria when evaluating paint.

Professional painters buy from SWP, BM, etc. and pay more per gallon because in the long run it is cheaper. If you have to apply 2 coats to get coverage when a better paint covers in 1 there is no savings, especially with labor. If a pro could save money by buying from big box stores he would.

I'm not trying to knock the lower priced paints that are available at the big box stores, I like to save money as much as the next guy but it is important to me for any coating to cover well, touch up decently when neccesary and last, not to mention be easy to apply. That is why I almost always recomend a quality coating.

Old 08-15-06, 11:05 AM
P
Thanks Marsr - great response and it makes sense. Have several rooms, to include ceilings, that must be repainted, and will let the professional suggest to me the paints. Thanks again.

Old 08-15-06, 01:47 PM
S
Originally Posted by Phil
Just finished reading the Sep 06 edition of Consumer Reports, and Behr is rated best for low-luster, flat, and semigloss paints. They were also "best buys". These are available at Home Depot and other do-it-yourself strores. Are these not good quality? Appreciate comments.
No
They are not good paints

See the threads:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=270192&highlight=Consumer+Reports

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=259092&highlight=Consumer+Reports

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=265324&highlight=Consumer+Reports

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=255237&highlight=Consumer+Reports

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=245918&highlight=Consumer+Reports

And the latest issue is not new tests, it is the old tests, just in a slightly different arrangement
You'll also notice they compare trim paints to wall paints side by side (def. an apples to oranges thing)

Old 08-15-06, 01:49 PM
S
Huh...sorry...looks like the "quotes" code and "links" code are turned off
If you copy and paste the addresses I listed, you'll find some good reading and opinions on the subject

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: