clean new greasy steel to prep welding/painting

Old 08-16-06, 08:39 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clean new greasy steel to prep welding/painting

HELP! I have purchased new posts, pickets, channel and castings for a old-looking fence. But the posts and channel are covered in a greasy dirt. I need to clean this off before it is welded (would be impossible to get into all the corners after). I really had to scrub to get it off my hands. I was thinking TSP in water, but the last thing I want is to encourage rust. And wiping all the pieces down with mineral spirits would take forever -- the dirt is really thick. There must be a better way - any ideas? Thanks.

Old 08-17-06, 06:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
Why would wiping with mineral spirits take longer than washing with TSP?

Mineral spirits is what is most commonly used to wipe off oil and contaminates prior to painting metal. If the dirt is real thick a putty knife or wire brush could be used to remove the bulk prior to washing with thinner.

Old 08-17-06, 07:24 PM
S
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm...I do use water on metal, but only if it's going to be hit with something else real quick...either a paint prep (solvent), acetone, or water-displacing oil or wax

I would water (and degreaser...or rather water-based de-greaser) wash the big chunks off and solvent clean it right away

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: