Repairing Peeled Paint from 3M Tape

Old 08-19-06, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing Peeled Paint from 3M Tape

We just completed painting the 17x12 kitchen and I'm looking for a repair solution for some paint that peeled off when I pulled off the 3M painter's tape that I used to mask the cabinets and trim (several places are about 12" long and a maximum of about 1" wide, tapering back to points at each end).

We started by stripping off vinyl wallpaper and used DIF stripper to remove the wallpaper paste. Afterwards, we washed down the walls, then started using joint compound to correct problems. Finally, I masked the cabinets & trim using 3M painter's tape, then primed the walls/ceiling with Kilz Premium (the first mistake I made was leaving the tape on after painting on the Kilz). The next morning, we painted on the top coat (latex, satin finish) and at the end of the day started removing the tape (second mistake - didn't think to use a knife to cut/score the tape). In several places the paint was pulled off as I removed the tape.

The damage is done, so my question is whether anybody can tell me whether there is any type of repair I can do to correct where the paint was peeled off (remembering that it looks like it pulled off both the top coat and the Kilz - now there's a 2 layer difference in depth to the wall)?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-06, 03:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Sand the areas as needed, spackle [or j/c] prime and paint.

Old 08-19-06, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Several More Questions .....

Thanks for the reply! Based on your solution I have several more questions:

1. I've read somewhere on this forum that there are about three timeframes for paint: the time it takes to dry to the touch (in hours), time to dry (about 7 days, but the paint finish can still be damaged), and time to cure (about 30 days before the finish can withstand damage). Would it be better to wait the full 30 days before attempting to do the initial sanding - if sooner, why?

2. After I've sanded and used joint compound, how far beyond the joint compound-filled area should I go with the primer - just slightly, so it's sealed for the top coat?

Thanks

Old 08-20-06, 04:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Since you are only sanding the peeled areas there shouldn't be a problem doing it now. The main reason for sanding prior to applying j/c is to knock down any ragged edges left by the peeling.

Only the repair needs primer so there is no need to prime past the repair more than a hair. Touching up enamel paints can sometime be troublesome but since your touch up is along the edges it should be ok. If it shows after it dries, try repainting the whole affected edge, feathering it out slighty.