Painting Bead Board

Old 08-23-06, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting Bead Board

Hi, We are decorating our son's nursery with plywood bead board paneling and want to paint it red. My painter friend told me that I should use an oil based primer first and then a latex paint to get the best look. I didn't think you could use oil first and then latex without sanding but he says he does it all the time. Does this sound right? Also I want the finished look to be matte (kind of like the pottery barn furniture that is a little distressed looking). What type of paint will be the best? Thanks for the help. Jen

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-06, 04:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Both latex and solvent based primers can be used under latex paint. Oil base undercoaters do a better job of sealing stains than latex primers. Some of the latex undercoaters sand well [and easy] resulting in a slick surface to apply the enamel. All primers should be sanded prior to applying the top coat. Multiple top coats should be sanded lightly between coats.

Satin enamel is probably the sheen you want. It is shinier than flat paint but doesn't have a lot of sheen.

Old 08-24-06, 07:40 AM
Thanks

Thanks Mark for all the information. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my post you have been really helpful. Thanks again, Jen

Old 08-24-06, 08:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
You are welcome, that is what we are here for.

Old 08-24-06, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by fivejs
...I want the finished look to be matte (kind of like the pottery barn furniture that is a little distressed looking). What type of paint will be the best?

The amount of gloss in eggshell/satin/semi-gloss can vary depending on the paint company (some satins/eggshells look like others flats)
IIRC Pottery Barn favors the flatter ones

You might want to look at some samples from the paint co.

As it is a nursery, I'd suggest the glossiest you can deal with for cleanabilty (eggshells/satins/gloss clean up better than flats)
...and a Kitchen and Bath paint might help also

Good example of sheen among Kitchen and bath paints:
Moore's K&B eggshell is a bit shiny, Zinsser's Perma-White eggshell is almost flat