Painting Plastic patio chairs?

Old 08-28-06, 07:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting Plastic patio chairs?

I am painting some plastic patio furniture with rustoleum for plastic paint. I cleaned the chairs with simple green and dried them off. Do I need to prime them. the surface is already pretty rough and definately not smooth. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-06, 08:22 AM
Krylon Fusion is a spray paint product that claims no sanding and no priming required. Rustoleum has a plastic primer for their paints. You might want to stop by a local paint dealer (not aisle) and explore other options. Surface prep per manufacturer's instructions is key to a successful paint job.

Old 08-28-06, 09:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I wouldn't think a primer would be neccesary but make sure you have completetly rinsed off any soap residue. Paint will not make the rough areas smooth so if the roughness will be a problem it should be sanded some. Doesn't need to be super slick, the paint will fill in a little, it just won't turn rough substrate to smooth.

Old 08-28-06, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the info. On the can it says no priming needed. I am not going for a completly smooth finish, I thought the rough state the chairs were in now , the paint would adhere to this better. I did one chair last night and it looks good. Only time will tell.