Painting baby's room

Old 08-28-06, 10:08 AM
Painting baby's room

My first son is on his way and the wife has picked out a scheme for his room. It will be Disney Classic Pooh from Home Depot. Sage green and light blue for the walls, with white trim. The room is currently all cheap Duron antique White (looks beige to me) on the trim, walls, and ceiling. From previous experience re-painting our guest bedroom (previously white with light blue clouds, by the previous owner), it took 2 coats of SW primer and 2 coats of bamboo color paint to cover everything. I really don't want to go through the same experience here. I have gathered that HD paints aren't that great, and had planned to go to SW again (although the wife's friend said she had a HD scheme and went elsewhere for the paint and it didn't quite match).

Should I get a real good quality prmier from SW, or possibly BM (there is a store about 15 miles from my house)? Is it possible that the same tint primer could be used under both colors? And is there a specific kind of primer I should look for? One website I was at suggested for previously painted walls to get BM Alkyd Enamel Underbody, Alkyd Primer Sealer, Regal FirstCoat, or Fresh Start primer. The existing walls are all a flat finish (that scuffs if you rub your hand against it!!).

I was also thinking of going semi-gloss, since it will be a baby boy's room and some stuff could hit the walls, lol.

Thanks for the help.

-Neil

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-06, 11:26 AM
It is my personal preference to use Zinnser primer. Primer can be tinted to go with your paint. A couple coats is usually required to cover darker wall paint. A wall paint that lends itself to some washing may come in handy in a child's room.

Old 08-28-06, 04:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Generally primer isn't needed for repainting interior walls. Either BM or SWP should be able to advise you on the best coatings for your your job. I've never had any problems with SWP matching competitors colors, the same should be true at BM.

Old 08-28-06, 05:51 PM
Shouldn't need to prime over Antique White
My local SWP and BM dealers both have most of the competition's color swatches, and both can computer match whatever I want

I think (at least) the eggshell/satin would be a good idea for the little one's room (for clean-up)

The semi- would work well for that too, though it's a bit shiny
If you don't mind...or really like the semi- than yes, go for it
It's very clean-able

Old 08-29-06, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I really don't know why it is called Antique White, since it is fairly beige in color. I was thinking I would need to prime since the proposed new colors are also fairly light. Would a good white primer work well? I'll take the paint colors to SW and see what they have to say. I was shying away from tinting the primer to the paint color since I will be dividing the walls. I was hoping for one neutral color primer to go underneath both colors of paint. I think I will definitely go with SW or someone other that Home Depot. I would prefer to pay extra for a better quality paint than spend 2 weekends painting just to get good coverage.

Thanks Again,
Neil

Old 08-29-06, 10:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Every paint manufacture has an 'antique white' I doubt any of them are the same color, some aren't even close.

White primer would be ok but again unless there are adhesion or stain issues, it isn't necessary.

Old 08-29-06, 12:46 PM
Really, I wouldn't prime beige/Antique White paint for sage and/or light blue
For a customer or my own home...in which I did paint a room sage and a room light blue...w/o priming...lol