Garage floor paint.

Old 08-29-06, 04:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage floor paint.

Hi and thanks in advance for your time-
I have a garage floor I would like to paint. Problem though: previously there was floor tile (12"x12") that had a type of adhesive that was a black (tar?) type substance. This tile has been long gone, but the residue remains. It is dry and not tacky.I was initially looking to epoxy the floor, but the prep work to get it to adhere properly looks daunting. I am looking to just lay down a primer coat, and some topcoat paint. What would you recommend? Oil or latex? This garage will not have a car in it. Just a work space.
Thanks. Ray

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-06, 05:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
The concrete really needs to be clean before applying any type of coating. Solvent based paints are a lot tougher than their latex counterparts but it is posible that an oil base paint/primer may partialy disolve the tile adhesive which would then mix with the paint altering the color [and consistencey] of the paint.

Have you tried cleaning the floor with a pressure washer? Mineral spirits might disolve the adhesive so it can be removed.

For most concrete floor applications I prefer to use concrete stain as it is less likely to peel when it wears out.

Old 08-29-06, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Having just put up new sheetrock, I am avoiding using a pressure washer inside the garage. I will try the paint thinner, and see how that works.
Thanks marksr.

Old 08-29-06, 10:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
I have pressure washed next to drywall before. It must be painted and care must be used to minimize the moisture that gets on the wall. Using a piece of plywood as a shield helps.

But if you can avoid water next to drywall that is best.