painting this ok

Old 09-01-06, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
painting this ok

I just bought some latex deck stain from sherwin williams to use on my deck. The instructions don't say but I primed the surface with oil-based primer for exterior surfaces. Did I make a mistake or is all good to go. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-06, 09:13 PM
Stain is intended to be absorbed by wood. If wood has been sealed with oil-based primer, wood can not absorb stain.

Old 09-02-06, 04:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
While some latex stains applied to certain woods require an oil base primer, decks aren't usually one of them. Depending on the type of latex stain you bought from SWP it might be ok. It would be best to go back [or call] the SWP rep and ask questions specific to your wood and stain. Not all of SWP's stains are suitable to be applied over primer.

Old 09-03-06, 08:14 PM
The person at sherwin williams said it will be ok. I think that they say this though because latex will adhere to a oil based primer but in truth I think I have hurt the durability of the stain some. So with that, I don't want to create to much more work, I think I am going to just use a 60 grit sandpaper on a orbital sander to create a somewhat absorbative surface. This might help it some, I think. What do you think? Thanks

Old 09-04-06, 05:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Since your stain is one of the ones that will adhere to primer, the primer shouldn't affect the life of the stain. With primer when the stain wears away, the primer may show which will look worse than raw wood showing. Other than that it shouldn't affect anything.