Best Clearcoat for Stair Treads?

Old 09-04-06, 06:50 AM
Jillypad
Visiting Guest
Best Clearcoat for Stair Treads?

We just had maple block treads made for a floating staircase that has the treads mounting to a stainless steel beam. What is the best clearcoat for the treads, since they will be seen from all angles? Also, what is the best way to not make them as slippy as an ice rink?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-06, 10:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I don't know what particular brand is superior but generally oil based polys are superior to water based in hardness/durability.

The better the sanding and cleaning before applications of finish = the smoother slicker finish. I guess if you want better traction you could not do as good of a job I would think the handrail would be the 1st line of defense for keeping you upright on the stairs.

Old 09-04-06, 10:33 AM
Jillypad
Visiting Guest
Thanks for that response. I will look for that type. One other issue: what is the best way to paint the entire tread? Do one side plus sides, then the other? I am worried about dripping or messing it up. Does that type of coating dry quickly? How many coats? Should I sand between coats?
Thanks!

Old 09-04-06, 03:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
If most of the bottom side of the tread shows I would poly top or bottom and all edges, flip when dry and repeat. If only a little of the bottom shows you can poly it and then set the tread on a block [to support it] and poly the rest.

To do a good job it usually takes 3-4 coats, sanding lightly between coats. Temp and humidity can affect drying times, some brands dry faster than others. The can will state both what the recoat time is [only an estimate] and the cure time - when it can take traffic. Drying time can be as little as 5 hrs or could be as long as 24 hrs.

Drips can carefully be cut out with a razor blade, sanded and then recoated.