Painting garage door (side)

Old 09-04-06, 10:55 AM
Painting garage door (side)

I have a side door going into garage that was replaced by a previous owner (4 years ago and I believe required by code, old door was all messed up) but the frame is in pretty bad shape, especially the bottom of it. I just realized that door was never painted ( I painted it from the inside when I was painting my garage) so I want to paint it on the outside now. Since it was just primed and primer is slowly coming off. What do I do now? If I sand the whole door I doubt Iíll find anything good, probably some kind of pressed board. What kind of primer they usually put on the doors before sending them out to HD or whatever? Is it safe to use an oil based primer on it because I want to paint with the oil based paint. Also important question, how do I paint the bottom of the door itself without removing it (there is probably 1/2" gap between the door and the floor), itís pretty heavy? I am sure It was never primed or painted on the bottom before is was put on and thatís where all the problems usually begin.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-06, 02:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually the cheaper exterior doors are made of steel with a stryfoam insulation. It is possible that it is a masonite door. You will need to sand/scrape remove any loose primer or paint. You can then prime and paint with oil base. The bottom edge can be painted with a small roller [shield the floor with a piece of cardboard] although SOP is to take the door down to paint the bottom edge.