Painting sectional garage door

Old 09-05-06, 11:34 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting sectional garage door

I have a sectional garage door. One garage door website says:
"Use the following solution, with a soft bristle brush, to remove mildew and other surface contaminants:
1 cup household Spic n Span® detergent
5 gallons warm water
Rinse thoroughly with water.
Use a powder cleanser like Comet®, diluted with water, with a soft bristle brush, to prepare the surface for better paint adhesion. Do not use sandpaper, deglossers, or liquid sandpaper to prepare the door surface.
Rinse thoroughly with water and allow to dry.
Use a high quality acrylic latex exterior paint. Apply according to manufacturer's instructions. Do not use oil-based paint or any "rust-inhibitive" paint. Do not paint in direct sunlight or when surface is warm to the touch. Lap marks will result. Brush application is recommended."

Someone told me that painting these doors will always lead to the paint chipping and peeling after a few years, five at the most. What do you all think?

Old 09-06-06, 06:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
I have painted thousands of metal garage doors. The only ones that ever peeled [to my knowledge] where some the ones that were painted with oil base paint. These were painted prior to the manufactures specifing latex paints only. They peeled, usually within the 1st yr.

If the door is good and clean and a quality latex paint is used, you shouldn't have any problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: