Peeling Latex Paint (over oil based).

Old 09-08-06, 11:06 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Peeling Latex Paint (over oil based).

The previous home owner repainted many of the rooms in our house. The problem is, they painted with latex over oil based paint without using a primer; therefore, the latex is peeling off in some locations and it peels in other locations if furniture rubs against the wall.

I need to repaint these rooms because they look terrible.

Do I need to peel off all the latex or just the latex that will come off? Is there a primer or something I can paint over the latex and exposed oil based paint to seal it, then start over again with latex (I don't want to use oil based paint if I can help it).

If you have experienced this before, or know the proper method of fixing this problem, your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 09-09-06, 05:39 AM
B
Your problem sounds like an inter-coat adhesion issue. This means that the latex was unable to bond to the oil. The most common reason for this is that the oil was too smooth/shiny. On a microscopic level, the oil based film did not have sufficient pores for the latex to flow and “grab” onto. That being the case the only way to absolutely ensure that you will not have the same problem is to sand all the latex off and then abrade the oil film.

I realize that is a lot of work that no one wants to do. I tell my customers to try to get all of the top film off in any way they can. Then use a bonding primer something like Zinsser’s 1 2 3. This product bonds to shinny surfaces. Then paint it with a latex. Keep in mind that by not removing the latex top coat and abrading the oil, there is a possibility that the old latex you did not get off may release from the old oil and pull everything on top of it off.

Old 09-09-06, 06:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Unfortunetly I have to agree, there is no easy fix. The more of the latex you remove the better off you will be. Whenever applying latex over oil base enamel, a solvent based primer should be used first.

As already stated remove as much of the latex from the woodwork as feasable, say a prayer and then prime all the exposed oil base with a solvent based primer. You can skip the last step if you want to go back to using oil base enamel.

Old 09-09-06, 08:37 AM
Is this on the trim only or the walls also?
Bummer if it's on the walls.I hate it when I find that walls were painted with oils.Usually latex won't even cover oil-painted walls evenly.
Incompetent people should never paint their own house!
:P

Old 09-11-06, 06:08 AM
J
Yeah, it is the walls...

Yes, it is only on the walls. Thanks for the advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: