Insulating paint?

Old 09-11-06, 06:58 AM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Insulating paint?

Hi,

There are several advertisements for paint additives that the manufacturers claim will reflect the heat back into the room. Any thoughts or experience with these product?

Old 09-11-06, 07:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 697 Likes on 615 Posts
see http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=273398

I don't believe there is any evidence to support claims of insulating paint.

Old 09-11-06, 03:09 PM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've not seen any evidence to support claims of insulating paint
Nor has anyone I know in the industry

Old 10-12-06, 11:42 AM
R
Insulating Paint

I actually am aware of an extensive amount of testing that has shown the effectiveness of insulating paints. Hy-Tech Thermal Solutions has a variety of paints and additive that help with insulation and they are also approved by NASA. The concept of insulating ceramics is not new--ceramic tiles have been used on the space shuttles since the early '70's, the concept has just recently been applied to paint. If you take a look at their website, www.hytechsales.com, as well as the NASA webiste, http://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/spinoff2003/er_4.html, you might find that a great deal of the claims are in fact true.

Old 10-13-06, 07:29 AM
G
Insulating paint

Sorry, but there is not much to the "insulating" paint idea. The idea is that you can reflect the radiant heat in the room. In fact there was a paint line called "Radiance" that contained aluminum flecks to do just that. However, keep in mind that the average coat of paint is just over the thickness of 1 sheet of notebook paper. Some thicker coatings are approx 2-3 sheets thick when dry.

The ultimate "radiant" coating would then be to paste aluminum foil on the walls over every inch of the room. Not pretty but would radiate the heat off the walls.

You are better to insist your builder use real insulation in the walls, and wear a sweater if you are cold in the winter. Dont waste your money on this stuff.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: