Need help painting kitchen cabinets

Old 09-11-06, 11:51 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help painting kitchen cabinets

Hello! We just purchased a new (to us) house with really awful kitchen cabinets. The boxes are particleboard covered with a woodgrain looking sticker. The doors & drawers do appear to be some sort of wood--possibly oak. I would love to tear them out & replace them, but since we just bought the house, that is just too expensive. The wood-look sticker is peeling off in a couple of places so you can see the particleboard underneath & I just can't stand them! So, I would love to paint them & was hoping someone here could give me step by step instructions, or direct me to a site with them. I am not much of a diy'er. Also, if anyone can direct me to sites with color/finish ideas/pictures I would really appreciate it. TIA!

Old 09-12-06, 04:44 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My Ideal Cabinet Repaint:

Clean with ammonia/water solution
Let dry

Sand with 180
This is to rough up the surface, not sand it off
Wipe with Tack Cloth

Prime with shellac based primer
Let dry

Sand with 180
This is a light sanding to smooth out the shellac a bit
Wipe with tack cloth

Paint first coat, with a proper brush, quality oil-based, high gloss enamel
Let dry over night

Sand with 220
Wipe with tack cloth

Second coat quality oil based high gloss enamel, also with a brush

Enjoy beautiful cabinets

*Substitute quality oil-based primer and quality waterborne enamel as needed/preferred

For you, specifically, you'll need to use care in sanding, so as not to remove the "wood sticker", but you'll need to cut off any loose, floppy, sticker
A light, light, sanding should be fine
But start small, if it's a problem and pulls up the sticker, skip that step (though only if you really have too)
Also for you, specifically, I'd stick with the shellac-based primer, not the oil
I prefer BIN, but I'm sure there are others that are good

Old 09-12-06, 06:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 357 Votes on 314 Posts
If you have trouble hiding the transision from peeling sticker grain, use a little spackling to blend the two.

Since oil enamels tend to yellow over time, use waterborne enamel if you decide to paint it white. Waterborne enamel would be my finish of choice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: