Color shift?

Old 09-15-06, 01:58 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Color shift?

I had two shades of green for a bathroom picked out - the much darker of the two for the trim. I had tested them on a section of wall that I had primed up beforehand.

When I painted some primed door trim and it looked 'off'. I waited for it to dry and it's still much, much, much lighter than it was when I decided on it (from the wall test). This too, was just a test paint to see the general outcome in place.

I went back and painted a little over the first test area and again over the trim and the test area darkened properly but not the trim - still way too light!

Any ideas what happened or what I didn't do that I should have?

Old 09-15-06, 06:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
Are you saying the that trim paint matched the trim sample on the wall but doesn't look the same on the door?

If so it is probably a lighting issue. The wall may be reflecting light different than the door making you think it is a different color. It is also possible that you're not getting complete coverage on the door in which case another coat will help.

Old 09-15-06, 11:46 AM
C
It has to be a lighting issue, as least in terms of the contour of the trim. I thought about the coverage issue but no difference in any number of coats of paint or primer. It's almost as if it doesn't darken after it's dry. But I was surprised to see how darker it dried on the wall section. What it dried to on the trim is almost what the wet color is.

All I know is it sure is an ugly color on the trim!

On a side note - I'm almost starting to miss that ole reliable 'renters white'...

Old 09-15-06, 11:54 AM
C
Check that last post. Seems if I put a splotch on all the walls only two of them look the way I anticipated. So I guess the trim IS the actual paint color and the swatch (2 of them) I based my decision on was different from the lighting on that area - which doesn't seem to be different light. But I guess it is.

Good grief!

Old 09-15-06, 12:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
Shadows, reflections and even the different types of lighting can all alter the way a color appears.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: